The Veterinary Services Laboratory (VSL) offers a comprehensive diagnostic service to veterinarians, farmers, pet owners, the horse racing community, other government departments, etc.
Services are free for farm animals but fees are charged for tests on specimens originating from companion animals (dogs, cats), pet birds, horses and exotic animals. Fees are also required for certain tests in Food Microbiology.
Recently there has been a greater emphasis on regulatory work (food safety, import and export testing). VSL is collaborating with Animal Health and Epidemiology on a number of programmes including the National Tuberculosis and Brucellosis survey, H1N1 survey in pigs and an ongoing Salmonella survey in poultry.
Whereas all personal information included with submissions is held in highest confidence, the data generated from the tests conducted may be used for research and other reports. Additionally, the VSL is bound by law to share results with relevant authorities where withholding the information might pose a national threat to human or animal health.
VSL is divided into sections as follows:
- Histology - Post mortems, Histology
- Microbiology - Clinical Microbiology, Food Microbiology
- Clinical Pathology – Haematology, Biochemistry, Cytology, Urinalysis
- Molecular Diagnostics - PCR
- To provide rapid, accurate diagnosis of animal diseases based on a commitment to quality service, thereby maximising the production of wholesome animal protein.
- To promote the economic development of Barbados by minimising the effects of animal disease to producers, owners of companion animals and exporters.
- To minimise the public health threat of animal-associated human pathogens, veterinary drug residues and other substances harmful to people.
- To safeguard animal welfare and protect the environment.
Mondays to Fridays 8:15am to 4:30pm excluding public holidays.
For most departments, samples should be submitted by 3:30pm to be processed on the same day. Samples received after this time will be processed on the following work day.
Samples for Clinical Microbiology should be submitted by 3:00pm. Any samples submitted after this time will be processed on the following work day Monday to Thursday.
Samples submitted after 3:00pm on Friday afternoons may be processed subject to the discretion of the technologist in that department.
Please see VSL_Fees_and_Services.pdf for detailed information on sample requirements for each section and test as well as handling and storage of samples prior to submission to the laboratory.